Advertisements

Thousands march in Tel Aviv against Trump plan

Israelis gathered in Tel Aviv Saturday night to protest the US Middle East peace proposal and government plans to annex territory in the West Bank.

Organizers from the Peace Now anti-settlement group said thousands marched in the demonstration at Tel Aviv’s Dizengoff Square, held under the banner of “Peace plan, not annexation deal.”

“Annexation is a disaster, no peace, no security,” protesters chanted, while holding up signs decrying Israel’s 52-year occupation of the West Bank and against “transfer,” referring to a part of the plan that opens up the possibility of drawing the border of a future Palestinian state to include several Arab-Israeli towns.

The plan, unveiled Tuesday, grants Israel control over Jerusalem as its “undivided” capital, rules out the return of Palestinian refugees to Israeli territory and envisions all West Bank settlements coming under full Israeli sovereignty. It allows for the creation of a demilitarized Palestinian state on some 70 percent of the West Bank, Gaza and part of the western Negev, but only in four years time if certain conditions are met.

It has been roundly rejected by the Palestinians, who on Saturday won unanimous backing backing for their position from the Arab League, potentially sinking any White House hopes of buy-in from moderate Arab states.

“The Trump plan is not a peace plan,” Labor-Gesher-Meretz MK Tamar Zandberg said at the rally, according to Channel 12 news. “It is a proposal for annexation, transfer and a surefire recipe for violence and apartheid.”

Earlier in the day hundreds of people rallied against the plan in the Arab Israeli city of Baqa al-Gharbiye, which could become part of Palestine according to the plan.

Read more at the Times of Israel.

Advertisements